This is Cross’ second album for Sub Pop (as well as second limited edition LP for Stand Up! Records), and is the follow-up to 2002’s Grammy-nominated “Shut Up You Fucking Baby!” On this specially priced disc, Cross continues to skewer everyone and everything in his path.
Recorded in January of 2004, during a four-night, eight-show stand in Washington, DC, It’s Not Funny is the follow-up to David’s Grammy Award Losing (to Weird Al’s Poodle Hat!) album, Shut Up, You Fucking Baby! “A truth teller in the noble tradition of Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce, Cross aims not just to entertain, but to challenge, provoke, and shake his audience out of its complacent stupor…as urgent and outraged as a Noam Chomsky lecture, but infinitely more entertaining” (The Onion). “Simply put, David Cross is the gentlest, kindest, and most sanitary man I have ever met” (Dave Eggers).
- Certain Leaders in Government Look or Act like Certain Pop Culture References!
- Women, Please Rinse Off Your Vagina and Anus!
- A Rapid Series of Comical Noises!
- I’ve Taken a Popular Contemporary Pop Song and Changed the Lyrics to Comment on the Proliferation of Starbucks in My Neighborhood!
- Although Indigent, Rural Families Have Little to Say in the Matter, Third Rate Public Education Has Kept Them Ignorant and Thus, Great Sources of Ridicule!
- My Child is Enthralling, Especially When It Says Something Unexpectedly Precocious Even Though It Doesn’t Understand What It Just Said!
- My Immigrant Mom Talks Funny!
- When It Comes to Jews, Behavior One Might Perceive as Obnoxious and Annoying I Present as “Quirky” but It’s Okay to Joke About It Because I, Myself, Am Jewish!
- Pandering to the Locals!
- Even Though I Am in the Closet, That Won’t Prevent Me from Getting Cheap Laughs at the Expense of Homosexuals!
- Weathermen Have Become, for the Most Part, Obsolete!
- When All is Said and Done, I am Lonely and Miserable and Barely Able to Mask My Contempt for the Audience as I Trot Out the Same Sorry Act I’ve Been Doing Since the Mid-Eighties!